Home Forums ProTerra Auditor Training Course ProTerra V4.1 – Forum Activity to Day 1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    master
    Keymaster

1. When preparing for a certification audit, the team identifies in the local news paper that the site that will be audited is receiving many labour claims. The country where the site is located has no specific regulation on this topic. What should be the legal framework considered as applicable to this assessment and what cross checks, pieces of information would you as an auditor try to obtain?

2. In your opinion what are to two most relevant contributions to the SDGs delivered by a ProTerra certification (a link to the SDGs and its relation to ProTerra Standard has been provided at the introduction of Day 1)?

Please respond and further discuss with your colleagues by commenting on their posts.

Good work!!

Alejandra Bolanos
    Participant

1. If the country where the site is located has no specific regulation on labour issues, the legal framework to be considered on the assessment should be ILO conventions, other international standards and the ProTerra Standard Version 4.1.
    As an auditor I would try to obtain evidence of these labor claims, if they really exist. If they do exist, how serious these claims are, what is their current status, what measures have been taken by the company, cross-check information between the unit and the workers through visual observation and interviews, considering that the absence of slave and forced labour, child labour and forms of modern slavery, weekly working hours and overtime and Equal opportunities and treatment for workers, etc are considered core indicators, which are essential and must be met by applicants to be granted the ProTerra Standard certification.

2. In my opinion the two most relevant contributions to the SDGs delivered by a ProTerra certification are:
    Principle #2: Human Rights and responsible labour policies and practices, which has several indicators that directly impact to the SDG #8 “Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all” ProTerra enforces ILO conventions to ensure that certified organisations provide safe working environments and do not engage with forced labour, irresponsible recruitments practices and discriminatory behaviour.

Principle #7: Water management, which has several indicators that directly impact to the SDG #6 “Ensure access to water and sanitation for all”. Considering that water scarcity, poor water quality and inadequate sanitation negatively impact food security, livelihood choices and educational opportunities for poor families across the world and approximately 70% of all water abstracted from rivers, lake and aquifers is used for irrigation and more than 80% of wastewater resulting from human activities is discharged into rivers or sea without any pollution removal.

Alice
    Keymaster

Well done.

In the absence of regulations in a country, ProTerra and all it requires, should be used as reference.

One important aspect that I consider during an audit is observing work conditions (safety measures in place, usage of PPE – personnel protective equipment) and also interviews with workers.

I my personal view it is a difficult question to answer. All SDG are relevant and meeting all of them together is what could make this world sustainable. I believe the key message ProTerra Foundation wants to leave here is that ProTerra Standard has a role to play in helping SDG. But it is good the see the different perspectives considering country specific experience.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.